What is a Loss Leader?
Thrifty shoppers save lots of money by looking for loss leaders. Don’t do all your weekly shopping at one store! Stores offer weekly deals where they actually lose money. Why? They do it to attract buyers into the store hoping they will also buy more expensive items. And most shoppers will do it to save time. If you do all of your shopping at one store, you are probably being tricked into buying things at the higher price.
How to find Loss Leaders
You do not have to read every page of all of your store ads because coupon websites do this work for you to save you some valuable time. Here is an example, thanks to www.thekrazycouponlady.com we have an example of a loss leader coupon matchup on the right for Walgreens for week of 8/3/14 (see picture).
Example of a Loss Leaders
This is an example of why to rotate and not always shop at one store. I do not shop at Meijer every week (lately going once a month) because other store coupon deals and it is farther from my house. Meijer mPerks program has sent me coupons monthly with a $10/$10 coupon, $5/$5 coupon, free milk, free baby carrots, and other coupons. When I go to load the threshold coupons (like $10/$10 purchase) I usually find other free items to load – like a free eggs coupon.
More Loss Leader Examples
- Bath and Body works often sends me mailed coupons for a free samples. I signed up ages ago but I think I gave them my address info in-store.
- JC Penny and Kohls often sends be coupons because I have their credit card. The last two years (2014 and 2015) they have sent me $10/$10 type coupons around Black Friday.
- Designer Warehouse has also sent my husband a $10/$10 and $5/$5 coupons a few times. He signed up for a rewards program through them.
- Kroger mails out personalized (bases on your shopping) free coupon items every so often. I often will get 2 freebies when they send all of my personalized coupons.
- Kmart has a freebie item for kids 12 and under almost every Sat. while supplies last – limit 1 per child
- Kmart’s app has a free item you can load most Friday mornings but it goes really fast and if you have an Android phone is might not work correct. If you can not see it back sure you have given the app your SYW (Shop Your Way) membership info.
- Kmart also has a lot of 100% point back deals that they periodically offer. So buy something and get 100% back on points to pay for another purchase.
- My local fruit market often advertises really cheap eggs like for $0.88/carton . I do not know if they are losing $ on this one but it attracts me to the store!
- Drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid) will often have some free items where you buy item and get 100% back on a reward program (Extra Care Bucks, Register Rewards, or Points back) that can be used on your next transaction.Other stores do this too so make sure when you are shopping to sign up for store programs where they take your address .Best, example is signing up for a store discount card.
Krogers’s Friday Freebies are another perfect example. You can read more about Kroger’s Friday Freebie here in the How to Coupon 101- loading E coupons section .
Note- not all Loss Leaders are free items it could also be a really low priced item to attract people into the store.
Photo Gallery of Loss leader pictures
EXTREME COUPONING 101 – HOW TO INFO and TIPS
- Organizing Coupon Inserts
- Store Coupon Policies
- Non Insert coupons
- Organize coupons with no binder
- Good Coupons & Stock up Prices
- You are reading lesson 6 now – Shopping the Loss Leaders
- Loading E Coupons
- Printing coupons
- Read coupon blogs daily
- Transferring & Filling Perscriptions $ Offers
- Organizing Loose Coupons with out a Coupon Binder